Thursday, September 07, 2006

On Assignment: Harlingen, Texas

IwoJimaLoRes
"Morning Formation" by Wes Aldridge

I went to the Marine Military Academy in Harlingen, Texas, this morning to get some shots of the cadets in marching formation practicing for graduation on Saturday. The sunlight wasn't really breaking through the clouds, but that was alright because it made for a great silhouette shot.

A replica to the Iwo Jima monument is on the MMA campus and luckily, this is where the formation was being held. Today, I post this photo in honor of Joe Rosenthal, the Pulitzer Prize-winning Associated Press photographer who shot the original image of the men raising the flag at Iwo Jima. Joe passed away in late August of this year, but as this replica proves, the image he captured will live on forever.

5 comments:

susanne said...

Beautiful sunrise...

Anonymous said...

Wes! What's up? I love this shot can I get a copy? I was there a couple months ago with Oliver North. I have some pics of us there too.

Anonymous said...

Good thing I wasn't there. I would have lit their faces and messed up this shot. Apparently silhouettes have no use for me.
Sincerely,
Phil

fauxtaographer said...

I was stationed at Harlingen AFB, back in 1957. I also met you on a chilly day in Franklin NC, back a couple of years ago during a peace demonstration of 4 people.

You showed me how to blog and got me started - now I have 4 of them.

I just check in from time to time and am always amazed.

Like a bright star, you show the way. Thanks.
John.

Anonymous said...

It really is not a replica, It was the mold to make the one in DC.

you can actually go inside this one.(interesting fact for today lol)