Tuesday, July 04, 2006

On Assignment: Corpus Christi... goddamn what a bummer

GullsEatLoRes
"Hunger Flight" by Wes Aldridge

Ok, so I am feeling like I have finally started hitting a groove again. Things, as I have previously said, have been kind of screwy in my world here lately. With that dominant in my mind, I figured I should do the one thing that I am good at... find a picture.

You can't understand the difficulty of my assignment this week unless you are a PR photographer. I have a magazine worth of exterior photography to do, but the weather doesn't clear up until several days after I leave. I have two options here: 1.) give up and accept certain defeat or 2.) give it everything I have and become innovative and bring new styles of shots to the doomed magazine. Bob, I think I will take number two.

The weather was disgusting today, but I NEEDED a shot to soothe my soul. I just thought about all my friends and family and co-workers that would be enjoying their 4th of July together and it made me sad because I was in an east Texas town beating my head in for an assignment that I knew the weather wasn't going to be reasonable. But, I wanted to make the best of it. Michael and I went to the beach front because I wanted to get a shot that I had seen in Geographic some time ago. I mounted my TTL flash and dropped my shutter speed and started firing at a young girl feeding seagulls bread on the seashell crusted sand. I think I caught one that I liked. It has a tone of something surreal, just what I was hoping for.

Note the flock of seagulls scrambling for the tossed piece of bread in the top corner.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

wes.....neat shot.I really like how you capture the motion action.The weather may be lousy but you are much loved and missed.Remember,it is what it is.Heads up,the sun will rise again.

wa

susanne said...

You are getting better and better in your photography, Wes - and you are on a new level with your photography without any doubt!
I love so much how you've captured the motion of the seagulls: I am just dreaming of flying like a bird in the air while looking at it...

Anonymous said...

Great photographer and fabulous photo to prove it. Even in the worst of circumstances you come out with the best. Can't wait to see you work your magic! THE DAM

Anonymous said...

Very cool .. looks like something that should be in Fear and Loathing or something -- ya know, during one of the acid scenes w/the colors the way that they are. Glad to see you've still been able to find some great shots regardless of the shotty weather. All your adoring fans knew you could do it! *Go get 'em tiger! ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi. Bob would be proud. The End.

Anonymous said...

I love the effect here. I can only describe it as a visual echo. Makes me here the flapping of wings (with some echo).

--Jared