Thursday, July 06, 2006

On Assignment: Corpus Christi... luck

GermanChurchLoRes
"Wading" by Wes Aldridge

So, don't be fooled by the pretty picture... today still sucked weather-wise. I was on my way back to the hotel after shooting an assignment about 45 miles from Corpus Christi. The drive was long and dull and I was pretty exhausted from shooting inside an iron-working factory. Suddenly the black sky split open and sunlight showered down.

At this point, I was desperate to shoot something that looked nice, anything, I would have settled for anything.

I caught the glimpse of a steeple rising over some trees and slammed on my brakes and darted off the main highway. I couldn't believe my eyes... I saw this beautifully restored German church founded around 1908 named Old St. Anthony Catholic Church. I came to a rolling stop and and leaped from the car snapping frames furiously. I must have shot 20 different angles on this church in about three minutes. But the last frame I shot is the one I like the most. I got down on the dirty parking lot and balanced my elbows on the edge of a mud puddle to get this reflection. Yeah, it looks like the church is sitting on the edge of a pond or something, but oh no, that is a standing puddle on top of Texas asphalt. I got the shot and then the sky ate the sun once again. I guess I got lucky for a few minutes today.

4 comments:

AG said...

Great shot! That part of Texas sucks huge nads....glad you were able to find something beautiful in the mix.

susanne said...

Wes, I am not sure if the restoration is finished cause the second bell tower is still missed - and German churches (I mean churches in Germany) usually are symmetrically built.

By the way nice reflection in your shot... I love puddles for this reason too :-)

Anonymous said...

dad wes.....nice shot.Beautiful reflection.Hope the the weather improves.

Anonymous said...

Wow... I really thought that WAS a pond. Impressive use of the enivronment!

--Jared