Tuesday, December 13, 2005

On Assignment: Dalton, Georgia-Day Four

WinkLoRes
"Wink in the Window" by Wes Aldridge

At sunrise I was in historic Dalton, Georgia (some know this as my homeland) trying to get a photograph to go along with a story about revitalization of various downtown areas of cities we are covering in this magazine. I decided to get a shot of the recently restored Wink Theatre. The lights on the marquee were great and it worked perfectly for the article. I got a nicely lit sunset shot with a warm sky and lights burning bright for the story, but I wasn't finished there.

I caught a glimpse of the lights from the marquee reflecting in the hood of a nearby car. I instantly went into artsy photojournalism mode. I wanted to get a cool reflection. Think I found one. This shot was a reflection in the door window of a coffee shop across from the Wink. I thought it was neat so I metered it out, I think it was somewhere around 1/15th at f/2.8 at ISO 400... and of course, I handheld it instead of using a tripod because it felt more spontaneous.

In the shot, I focused on the theatre in the reflection, but in the foreground a white cross hangs from the glass along with a no smoking sign. Not sure if it has some grand subliminal meaning, but I just liked the composition.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's really cool!! I actually eat at that coffee shop every once in a while-its pretty good! The Wink is so beautiful inside though! It's fun to watch old movies in there!! You should drive up past the trade center (up Dug Gap Mountain) and turn into Battlefield Park subdivision and check out the view! Just watch out for wildlife... seriously! --Nicole