Thursday, December 08, 2005

Listenin' In The Cold

ChetLoRes
"Chet's Audience" by Wes Aldridge

Tonight I wanted to record some reality with my light capturing box, so I went downtown. I walked the sidewalks and alleyways for about two hours in the 30-degree temperature. It was cold, much too cold for me to be aimlessly hunting a shot, but of course I kept on searching.

I came upon the intersection where a bronze statue of Chet Atkins sits on a stool playing a guitar with an empty stool beside him. Though tonight, the other stool wasn't empty. A man (whom I talked to later and found out he was homeless) was sitting there motionless in a deep stare. It was as if he was listening to Chet play. I slung the camera up and popped a shot before he saw me. I walked by the guy and we small talked and I went back to the Jeep.

I drove by the Ryman Auditorium and saw a sad scene: several men were huddled together lying on an air vent to stay warm in the bitter night air. I knew exactly what I needed to do. I drove a few blocks up to the TigerMarket and bought some large coffees and sandwiches and bananas and headed back to the group of men on the street.

I walked up and more guys had shown up to warm there since I had gone to the store. I gave them the food and drinks and asked them to please share. They graciously agreed. I sat down there and talked to them for a little while. It was getting late so I wished them good luck and headed on my way.

I knew that the $16-something-odd dollars I spent on the food wasn't much, but hopefully it will help those men get through a cold Nashville night.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wes.....What an awesome shot,but more than that is your commentary about the surrounding circumstances.Once again this shows and tells me about your goodness of heart you demonstrate when confronted by these things.Please never loose that feeling for other human beings.I love you very much and am very proud of you.


dad

truevyne said...

In addition to your talent, you are a good guy, Wes.

susanne said...

An expressive shot!

In cold winter nights homeless people in Würzburg have the possibility sleeping in a house that is financed by the city council as far as I know.
Last winter there has been an article in our newspaper telling that.