Saturday, October 01, 2005

On Assignment: Greenville, North Carolina-Day Five

ECULoRes
"Warming Up" by Wes Aldridge

Tonight I shot the Eastern Carolina Unversity Pirates football game. I have to say, I don't think my idea of fun is shooting football, at least not with a 70-200mm lens. It just wasn't long enough to get any good action shots. I put my teleconverter on it to get some extra range, but that makes me lose 2 f-stops of light. Losing some light isn't good for shooting a night game. I ended up shooting at 800 ISO speed and I knew that meant some big time grain in the shots.

I needed a 400mm f/2.8 lens to get the good action. I got the shots I needed for a feature story with my wide lens from the top of the stadium above the pressbox. I do believe that there won't be too many action shots in the feature, though.

Anyway, I have a 7:45 flight in the morning from Raleigh. The drive to the airport is 1 hour and 30 minutes, if you know exactly where you are going. The rental car return is offsite from the airport. I need to be there about 2 hours before my flight to get the car returned to shuttle to the airport and get checked in and through security. With all that, I pretty much need to leave here at 4 a.m. I do honestly dread this. At least I will be going to the Titans game when I get back, if I can stay awake. Its almost 11 p.m. here and I still need to pack and get my gear situated, so signing off.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WE saw you on TV shooting the game. It was delightful to see you there. Keep on keeping on, never let up. It will pay off sooner than you think--trust me!!!!!!!--fa sweet dreams!!!