Wednesday, October 19, 2005

A Night On The Cumberland

GeneralJackson2LoRes
"The General Jackson" by Wes Aldridge

I went searching around as the sun started to set tonight. The sun is setting much earlier these days. I barely have time to drive from the office to my place before the colors become brilliant. Yes, it is Fall now. The days are shorter, the weather is more unpredictable and the nights are becoming longer and longer. The life of a photographer becomes a little harder right now, but that's alright. I love the weather because I know winter is just around the corner and that is when things get really tough.

But, tonight, for all of those who love when I shoot ANOTHER Nashville skyline shot, this one is for you. I went across the Cumberland River to see what I could see. I had planned on shooting some of the industrial sculpture work close to the landing. I was doing sunset silhouettes when I looked up and saw the riverboat General Jackson coming down the river. I hadn't gotten a shot of it before and it is most certainly a part of iconic Nashville. Cool, I thought I would get a shot, and what the heck, someone might even want to buy a print of it, right? Hehe. I hope so.

Well I got lucky because the boat docked right in front of the Bellsouth building. I thought I was going to have to shoot it while it was moving. I put up the tripod and metered out the light. The exposure was less than 10 seconds, I think and the aperture was somewhere around f/7.1. Anyhow, I like it.

No comments: