Thursday, September 22, 2005

On Assignment: Prattville, Alabama-Day Three

ClockTowerLoRes
"Four Times Even Light" by Wes Aldridge

If there is one good thing about the current hurrican situation, it must be that the weather makes for an extremely interesting sunset shot.

In this shot, all the light completely evened out. First you have the bright colors of the sunset, pretty much exposed on the money, bright and crisp warm colors. Next, you have the silhouettes of the ground and trees that are completely black. The face of the clock on the clocktower is illuminated at the right exposure, with a little flood lighting projected on the the corner wall. And finally, you can't overlook the menacing purple storm cloud that devours the sky with a patch of blue sky showing through the opening at the top.

I waited around for just the right time to shoot, and I am glad I did. Seconds after this frame, the wind began to pick up rather violently and I felt a few raindrops fall on my nose. And then, the damn bottom fell out of the sky and an insane storm came on strong. I really thought I was about to be in the middle of a tornado. Honestly, this shot doesn't even come close to capturing what was going on in nature right then. But, hell, I tried and rode it out until the nasty storm came... and happy I did. I got so excited about this shot that I called two other photographers to rant about it. I was awe struck over what I had seen, and it reassured me that I am doing what I am supposed to do, and loving it.

I wish you could have been there with me.

1 comment:

susanne said...

You have captured a very special mood in that pic...
...and I like especially the detail of the illuminated face of the clock tower in the context of that picture.
Take care of you!