Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Still Life Study

DimeLoRes
"Little Money" by Wes Aldridge

I wanted to do an experiment in macro still-life photography tonight by turning my 50mm f/1.8 lens around backwards to mimic the macro effect. I decided to grab spoons, a mirror, razorblades... anything shiny and relfective that would make it difficult to shoot without getting bad reflections from the strobe light bouncing off the object's surface. I decided on some dimes and quarters.

They made for an interesting subject because the words on the coins had interesting reactions as I shifted and tilted the lens. The edge of some of the coins had a drastic streaking effect as the depth of field changes by getting closer and farther away from my subject.

I am really enjoying trying to master such an unmasterable technique. There are so many inconsistencies with using the lens in this way and of course it is fun to see things that I photograph like this much larger than life.

No comments: