Tuesday, July 19, 2005

On Assignment: Martinsville, Virginia-Day Two

IndianWearLoRes
"Tribal Wear" by Wes Aldridge

I shot a portrait late this evening of a nice ol' retired doctor. After I finished his portrait, he took me to a room where he said he was assembling a private collection of American Indian artifacts. I was utterly impressed. The shot above is one of the old native garments that were hanging in his collection. I thought the real animal claws on the necklace really set this shot off.

Anyway, I have been listening to the latest Coldplay album, "X&Y," pretty much everyday for about a week. I usually don't go for soft and light pop music like that, but I think it has easily become one of my favorite albums of all times. The music is beautifully written, orchestrated and intelligent. It flows like milk and honey. But the thing that really impresses me is the lyrical content of the songs. I mean, the music really draws you in, but the lyrics keep you coming back for more. These things are important in an age of bubblegum pop music that sells and sounds a-dime-a-dozen. I mean, I love Nine Inch Nails, Dark New Day, TOOL, and the like. So, maybe you should check out this Brit pop album if a dark metal lover like me finds a refuge in it.

I think some of the most important lyrics that really drive home with me are in the third track, titled "White Shadows." Strong, strong song. The lyrics are as follow:

"Maybe you'll get what you wanted
Maybe you'll stumble upon it
Everything you ever wanted in a permanent state
Maybe you'll know when you've seen it
Maybe if you say it you'll mean it
And when you find it you'll keep it
In a permanent state a permanent state"

I can't really explain to you why they mean so much to me. All I can say is I have honestly never felt a connection to song lyrics like this before. There is something magical in that song and I can listen to it over and over and it never really gets tiring to me. I force myself to cycle in another cd every few hours, just so I will believe I am not THAT crazy. I think Coldplay really hit the nail on the head with this one.

And, now you are wondering what the hell that has to do with some ancient Native American gear... absolutely nothing.

1 comment:

susanne said...

...that animal claws look awesome!!!