Wednesday, June 15, 2005

On Assignment: Sikeston, Missouri-Day One

SikestonLoRes
"City Limits" by Wes Aldridge

What do you find in Sikeston, Missouri? Cornfields, lots and lots of... cornfields. I was running around with my camera hunting seasonal shots and found myself on the outskirts of the city. I turned around and saw this city limits sign and thought it was priceless. It told the story of where I was on assignment, pretty much summed it all up with one photograph.

The city name "SIKESTON" reads proudly across the center, scarred with a dozen or so bullet holes. I think that told the demographics story of the area. The population was at 16,992, but seemed to have changed because it was a sticker stuck on top of another number. In the background you see the cornfields with an irrigation machine there as well. This is Sikeston. These are the things that make this city. I think I kinda love it, well, let's not go that far. It is neat in its own strange little way.

No comments: