Saturday, March 26, 2005

The Long Drive


"Just About Home" by Wes Aldridge

Today is now officially over. I spent seven hours driving from Lancaster, Ohio, to Nashville, Tennessee. Then, I spent two and a half more hours driving from Nashville to Tunnel Hill, Ga. It was a grueling day, but I had plenty of RockSTAR energy drinks to keep me going.

This shot is from when I had almost met my breaking point. I was getting close to Tunnel Hill, deliriously tired, and I see the sky starting to change color in my rearview. I wanted to capture the moment but I didn't have time to stop and shoot. So, I did what any safe and upstanding photographer would do... I wrapped the strap to my camera tightly around my wrist and pushed the button to open the sunroof. And yes, I was "that guy" sticking the camera out in heavy traffic to get a little glimpse of the road I had burned down all day long.

There wasn't much to this shot other than luck for composition. I guess-timated the light metering for the sunset and hoped for an alright shot. It was a relief. I guess it made everything a little better having something wonderful to look forward to once I got back home.

3 comments:

susanne said...

Impressive pic! I like the colours, the composition, the details. The light is really good!

Anonymous said...

wes////we are so proud you were able to make it home for Easter.We are always glad to see you but this is extra special.Did the easter bunny find you? We love you more than you will ever know.

with all our love,
Mom and Dad

Anonymous said...

I remember that drive ... do you? Conversing as we used to? Reminds me of the lyrics of one of my favorite songs...

"Maybe her eyes are just a little bit red
Almost all the time
Maybe her hair, it smells like cigarettes
When I climb into bed with her at night
She don't wanna try
But this just feels so right
She's almost perfect
She is so close to being everything
She's almost perfect
But she's not, she's not mine
Maybe she knows she drives me crazy
Just bats her eyes like she's my baby
Maybe she's quick to let her tongue fly at me
She's not the most proper lady
I'm the one to blame I know I caused this crash
So now I wander in this mess
Int this lake of sour mashed
Through my head the notion that
Maybe she's not quite honest with me
Almost all the time
Maybe I know there's someone else in her life
When I climb into bed with her at night" -I.H.

I kinda miss you ...