Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Does Victory Shine Today?


"Victory" by Wes Aldridge

This is a pillar in a series of World War II statuary down in Bicentennial Mall. I think this particular pillar is very ironic. I know that victory was declared when the A-Bombs were dropped on Japan, but was that victory?

I don't want to dive deep into any social commentary tonight, but it just got me thinking. Does ending a war necessarily mean the same as victory? Maybe it is the humanitarian side of me, but I don't know if I agree with that. I guess it did make the United States a superpower for the following 50 years. Not sure if that was out of respect from other countries or their fear.

I am sure this will spark some kind of debate. Someone will either think I am anti-American or something. So, let's see where this one goes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wes--- war and death never means victory nor does all the destruction that was caused by this blast.But we have paid the pricr for war on several occasions.However,dropping the atomic bomb in japan did save a lot of lives on both sides because it brought an end to that war.In fact there is still a lot of annomossity toward these countries today.Freedom has and always will carry a large price tag in dollars and cents as well as human sacrifice.Thankfully this is America and we can have a difference of opinion and still respect the other persons right to say what he likes.I am off from my soapbox now.Dear old dad

Anonymous said...

You Belmont MOM is very proud!