Thursday, March 03, 2005

Bright on Dark With a Little Contrast

<
"The Light" by Wes Aldridge

Today was my mother's birthday and a joint family meeting for dinner and fun was arranged in Manchester, Tenn. It is halfway between Nashville and Tunnel Hill, Ga., where my parents live. As usual, I was armed with my camera.

After dinner, our party was walking out the front door into the night. I saw this lamp on the side of the building. I loved its old cast iron design, but the shadows it cast on the brick wall really is what got my attention.

I couldn't pass up a few minutes of shooting it for different angles and this is my favorite one. Who knew an O'Charley's restaurant would make it onto the blog? Certainly not I, but I do love the unexpected.

Shot settings were ISO 200 handheld at 1/20th of a second at f/2.8 with compulsory strobes from my 550EX flash. I liked the way this shot came out because of using the flash on it. And, honestly, I can't even tell that a strobe was fired once, much less the multiple times I fired it off.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wes.....wasn't that a lot of fun!!!!! I can't tell you when I enjoyed myself more.Mom and I was very impressed with your birthday gift.It has already taken its place on the wall of honor at the shop.Everyone thought that your photo was an oil painting.You never fail to amaze and inspire us.
dad